Betolar’s solution turns different side streams from the energy, mining, steel and forestry industry into low carbon, geopolymer-based construction materials. These materials perform the same as concrete in terms of qualities such as strength but leave a carbon footprint that is up to 90 per cent smaller.
Betolar also enables a way to utilize the rapidly growing waste sites and accelerates the transition towards sustainable construction and a circular economy.
of reused materials in our products
less CO2 emissions compared to conventional concrete
Raw material from waste streams
Betolar utilizes a variety of industrial waste streams, such as:
- Tailings such as red mud
- Green liquor dregs
- Ground-granulated blast-furnace slag
Production of geopolymers
Geopolymers are produced using Betolar’s unique recipe management system and supported by advanced analytics to maintain high-quality control.
- No calcination
- Easily customizable for different needs
- Production can be done on-site
- Logistic costs are minimized as the production can happen near the waste site
With geopolymers, we can produce a wide range of construction materials. We have solutions for:
- Ground engineering
- Outdoor landscaping supplies (paving, stones, masonry)
- Buildings materials (alternative for concrete)
- Recycling service providers
The construction industry is among the most polluting sectors, creating over 20% of the global CO2 emissions*.
The energy used in the industry comes mostly from burning fossil fuels* and the industry relies heavily on virgin raw materials. A shortage of these natural resources in many emerging markets has led to long-distance haulage, increasing the environmental burden even further.
Another major problem in the construction industry is the cement used in concrete
- In 2015, cement production generated ~2.8bn tonnes of CO2, equivalent to 8% of the global total – more than any country other than China or the US*.
- While there is an urgent need to decrease the CO2 emissions worldwide, the use of cement will continue to increase as the buildings sector floor area is estimated to double by 2060*. To put this into perspective, we are building the equivalent of an entire New York City every month for the next 40 years*.
Decrease the environmental burden of your operations
Reduce your waste disposal fees
Minimize the safety and health risks related to hazardous waste materials
Find an environmentally friendly, CO2 neutral construction material
Improve your operations while growing your business with the green building market
Increase your company’s reputation as a leader in circular economy